Video introduction to Play Framework
Play Framework makes it easy to build web applications with Java & Scala.
Play is based on a lightweight, stateless, web-friendly architecture.
Built on Akka, Play provides predictable and minimal resource consumption (CPU, memory, threads) for highly-scalable applications.
Make your changes and simply hit refresh! All you need is a browser and a text editor.
- Hit refresh workflow
- Powerful console & build tools
- Type safety
- Built in testing tools
- IDE support for Eclipse and IntelliJ IDEA
Underneath the covers Play uses a fully asynchronous model built on top of Akka. Combined with being stateless, Play scales simply and predictably.
- Stateless Web Tier
- Non-blocking I/O
- Built on Akka
- Real-time enabled
Modern web & mobile.
Play was built for needs of modern web & mobile apps.
- RESTful by default
- Asset Compiler for CoffeeScript, LESS, etc
- JSON is a first class citizen
- Websockets, Comet, EventSource
- Extensive NoSQL & Big Data Support
Solid & fast.
The compiler and runtime (JVM) do the heavy lifting so that your apps run super-fast and keeps running under load.
- Code is compiled
- Runs on the JVM
- Java NIO via Netty
The ecosystem around Java is huge. There are libraries for everything - most of which can be used in Play.
- Use Maven Central libraries
- Numerous Play plugins
- Very active Play community
Proven in production.
From startups to enterprises, Play powers some of the most innovative web sites. Play is proven, reliable and scalable.
- Production support by Typesafe
- Many cloud deployment options
- Used in mission-critical apps