You are viewing the documentation for the 2.5.x release series. The latest stable release series is 2.8.x.
Play uses public modules to augment built-in functionality.
To create your own public module or to migrate from a
play.api.Plugin, please see ScalaPlayModules or JavaPlayModules.
- Website: https://github.com/swagger-api/swagger-play
- Short description: Generate a Swagger API spec from your Play routes file and Swagger annotations
- Website: https://github.com/iheartradio/play-swagger
- Short description: Write a Swagger spec in your routes file
- Website: https://github.com/zalando/play-swagger
- Short description: Generate Play code from a Swagger spec
- Website: https://github.com/mohiva/swagger-codegen-play-scala
- Short description: Swagger client generator which is based on the PlayWS library
- Website: https://github.com/koofr/play2-sprites/
- Short description: play2-sprites is an sbt plugin that generates sprites from images.
- Website: https://github.com/jlitola/play-sass
- Short description: Asset handling for Sass files
- Website: https://github.com/ArpNetworking/sbt-typescript
- Short description: A plugin for SBT that uses sbt-web to compile typescript resources
- Website: https://github.com/BowlingX/play-webpack
§Authentication (Login & Registration) and Authorization (Restricted Access)
- Website: http://www.silhouette.rocks/
- Documentation: http://www.silhouette.rocks/docs/
- Short description: An authentication library that supports several authentication methods, including OAuth1, OAuth2, OpenID, CAS, Credentials, Basic Authentication, Two Factor Authentication or custom authentication schemes.
§Deadbolt 2 Plugin
- Website (docs, sample): https://github.com/schaloner/deadbolt-2
- Short description: Deadbolt is an authorisation mechanism for defining access rights to certain controller methods or parts of a view using a simple AND/OR/NOT syntax
§Play-pac4j (Java and Scala)
- Website: https://github.com/pac4j/play-pac4j
- Documentation: https://github.com/pac4j/play-pac4j/blob/master/README.md
- Short description: Play client in Scala and Java which supports OAuth/CAS/OpenID/HTTP authentication and user profile retrieval
§Authentication and Authorization module (Scala)
- Website: https://github.com/t2v/play20-auth
- Documentation(en): https://github.com/t2v/play20-auth/blob/master/README.md
- Documentation(ja): https://github.com/t2v/play20-auth/blob/master/README.ja.md
- Short description This module provides an authentication and authorization way
§Play! Authenticate (Java)
- Website: https://joscha.github.io/play-authenticate/
- Documentation: https://github.com/joscha/play-authenticate/blob/master/README.md
- Short description: A highly customizable authentication module for Play
§SecureSocial (Java and Scala)
- Website: http://securesocial.ws/
- Short description: An authentication module supporting OAuth, OAuth2, OpenID, Username/Password and custom authentication schemes.
- Website: https://github.com/flyway/flyway-play
- Documentation: https://github.com/flyway/flyway-play/blob/master/README.md
- Short Description: Supports database migration with Flyway.
§MongoDB Jongo Plugin (Java)
- Website (docs, sample): https://github.com/alexanderjarvis/play-jongo
- Short description: Provides managed MongoDB access and object mapping using Jongo
§MongoDB ReactiveMongo Plugin (Scala)
- Website (docs, sample): http://reactivemongo.org/releases/0.11/documentation/tutorial/play2.html
- Short description: Provides a Play 2.x module for ReactiveMongo, asynchronous and reactive driver for MongoDB.
- Website (docs, sample): https://github.com/freekh/play-slick
- Short description: This plugin makes Slick a first-class citizen of Play.
§Redis Plugin (Java and Scala)
- Website (docs, sample): https://github.com/typesafehub/play-plugins
- Short description: Provides a redis based cache implementation, also lets you use Redis specific APIs
§ScalikeJDBC Plugin (Scala)
- Website: https://github.com/scalikejdbc/scalikejdbc-play-support
- Short description: Provides yet another database access API for Play
§Redis Cache Plugin (Java and Scala)
- Website: https://github.com/KarelCemus/play-redis
- Short description: Provides both blocking and asynchronous redis based cache implementation. It implements common Play’s CacheApi for both Java and Scala plus provides a few more Scala APIs implementing various Redis commands including the support of collections.
- Website: https://github.com/dlecan/play2-war-plugin
- Documentation: https://github.com/dlecan/play2-war-plugin/blob/develop/README.md
- Short description: Allow to package Play! 2.x applications into standard WAR packages.
- Website: https://github.com/splink/pagelets
- Short Description: A Module for the Play Framework to build resilient and modular Play applications in an elegant and concise manner.
- Seed project: https://github.com/splink/pagelets-seed
- Website: https://github.com/germanosin/play-foldermessages
- Short Description: Allows you to split localization messages files into separate manageable files.
- Website: https://github.com/julienrf/play-jsmessages
- Short description: Allows to compute localized messages on client side.
§Messages Compiler Plugin (Scala)
- Website: https://github.com/tegonal/play-messagescompiler
- Documentation: https://github.com/tegonal/play-messagescompiler/blob/master/readme.md
- Short description: Provides type safety for the project’s messages.
§Play I18n HOCON
- Website: https://marcospereira.github.io/play-i18n-hocon/
- Documentation: https://marcospereira.github.io/play-i18n-hocon/
- Short description: A Playframework module to use HOCON for i18n instead of Java Properties
§Google’s HTML Compressor (Java and Scala)
- Website: https://github.com/mohiva/play-html-compressor
- Documentation: https://github.com/mohiva/play-html-compressor/blob/master/README.md
- Short description: Google’s HTML Compressor for Play 2.
- Website: https://github.com/mumoshu/play2-memcached
- Short description: Provides a memcached based cache implementation
§Templates and View
§Google Closure Template Plugin
- Website (docs, sample): https://github.com/gawkermedia/play2-closure
- Short description: Provides support for Google Closure Templates
§HTML5 Tags module (Java and Scala)
- Website: https://github.com/loicdescotte/Play2-HTML5Tags
- Documentation: https://github.com/loicdescotte/Play2-HTML5Tags/blob/master/README.md
- Short description: These tags add client side validation capabilities, based on model constraints (e.g required, email pattern, max|min length…) and specific input fields (date, telephone number, url…) to Play templates
- Website: https://github.com/scalate/play-scalate
- Documentation: https://scalate.github.io/scalate/documentation/index.html
- Short description: Alternatives to Twirl HTML template support for Jade (like Haml), Mustache, Scaml (also like Haml), SSP (like Velocity), and Scuery (CSS3 selector language)
§PDF module (Java)
- Website: https://github.com/innoveit/play2-pdf
- Documentation: https://github.com/innoveit/play2-pdf/blob/master/README.md
- Short description Generate PDF output from HTML templates
§PlayFOP (Java and Scala)
- Website (live demo, user guide, other docs): https://www.dmanchester.com/playfop
- Repository: https://github.com/dmanchester/playfop
- Short description: A library for creating PDFs, images, and other types of output in Play applications. Accepts XSL-FO that an application has generated and processes it with Apache FOP.
§Play-Bootstrap (Java and Scala)
- Website: https://adrianhurt.github.io/play-bootstrap/
- Repository: https://github.com/adrianhurt/play-bootstrap
- Short description: A library for Bootstrap that gives you an out-of-the-box solution with a set of input helpers and field constructors.
- Website: https://go.fudok.com/en/
- Documentation: https://github.com/cchantep/play-dok/
- Short description: Library to integrate Fukdok PDF templating service with your Play application.
§Thymeleaf module (Scala)
- Website: https://github.com/dmitraver/scala-play-thymeleaf-plugin
- Documentation: https://github.com/dmitraver/scala-play-thymeleaf-plugin/blob/master/README.md
- Short description: Allows to use Thymeleaf template engine as an alternative
§Emailer Plugin (Java and Scala)
- Website (docs, sample): https://github.com/playframework/play-mailer
- Short description: Provides an emailer based on apache commons-email
- Website: https://edulify.github.io/play-geolocation-module.edulify.com/
- Documentation: https://github.com/edulify/play-geolocation-module.edulify.com/blob/master/README.md
- Short description: Module to retrieve Geolocation data based on IP.
- Website: https://github.com/julienrf/play-jsonp-filter
- Short description: Enables JSONP on your existing HTTP API.
§Sitemap Generator (Java)
- Website: https://edulify.github.io/play-sitemap-module.edulify.com/
- Documentation: https://github.com/edulify/play-sitemap-module.edulify.com/blob/master/README.md
- Short description: Automatic sitemaps generator for Play
- Website: https://github.com/sief/play-guard/
- Documentation: https://github.com/sief/play-guard/blob/master/README.md
- Short description: Play2 module for blocking and throttling abusive requests
§Amazon SES module (Scala)
- Website: https://github.com/Rhinofly/play-mailer
- Documentation: https://github.com/Rhinofly/play-mailer/blob/master/README.md
- Short description: SES (Simple Email Service) API wrapper for Play
§Amazon S3 module (Scala)
- Website: https://github.com/Rhinofly/play-s3
- Documentation: https://github.com/Rhinofly/play-s3/blob/master/README.md
- Short description: S3 (Simple Storage Service) API wrapper for Play
- Website: https://pusher.com/
- Documentation: https://github.com/tindr/Play2Pusher
- Short description: Easily interact with the Pusher Service within your Play application.
Found an error in this documentation? The source code for this page can be found here. After reading the documentation guidelines, please feel free to contribute a pull request. Have questions or advice to share? Go to our community forums to start a conversation with the community.