Welcome to the Play Scala documentation. This documentation is intended for the 0.9 release of the Scala module and may significantly differs from previous versions.
Play Scala enables you to use the Scala language for your application keeping key properties of the Play framework. It uses a more functional and Scala idiomatic style of programming without giving up on simplicity and developer friendliness.
This version is still in beta but can already be used to create complete Play applications using Scala as main language. Most of the API is stabilized and future versions will just improve compatibility with the existing Play features.
Check the roadmap to 1.0.
Add Scala support to your existing Play installation.
- Installing Scala support for Play
- ‘Hello World’ tutorial — Your first Play Scala application
- Learning Scala with Play
The Scala version of Play framework share the same philosophy and concepts than the Java version. Here are the Scala specific features deeply explained.
- ‘Play Scala’ for Play Java developers
- Writing Play controllers in Scala
- HTTP to Scala data binding
- Dealing with Scala types in Play templates
- Database access options
- Testing your application
- Anorm, SQL data access with Play Scala
Tutorial — Play Scala guide, a real world app step-by-step
Here is the Scala version of the well known ‘Yet Another Blog Engine’ Play tutorial.